Information on Visas
Entry into Japan for 90 days is very easy to obtain for almost everyone
who wishes to attend IJCAI-97.
- All foreign visitors entering Japan must have a valid passport.
Participants requiring visas should apply to Japanese consular offices or
diplomatic mission in their countries prior to their local travel agents or
- Aliens residing in countries where no Japanese representation is
established may apply for a temporary entry permit via the representations
of their counties in Japan.
- Visitors must hold onward or return ticket, proof of sufficient funds to
cover the duration of their stay in Japan and documents required for their
next destination. If not, they may be refused entry. Undertaking
remunerative activities, or taking up employment is strictly prohibited.
- If you have any questions about entry to Japan from your country, please
Japanese Embassy and Consulates .
IJCAI-97 LAC is willing to support IJCAI-97 participants to get a Travel
Document issued by the Japanese authorities (tokoshomeisho).
Admission and Transit restrictions
- The Japanese authorities do not recognize passports of
- Taiwan (Rep. of China).
If such passengers hold a Travel
Document issued by the Japanese authorities
(tokoshomeisho), they must also possess a valid passport
- Andorra Nationals of Andorra must hold a passport issued
by the French or Spanish authorities
- Korea (Dem. People's Rep.)
- the Palestinian Government
- Japanese single-use passports become invalid upon the holder's
return to Japan. Therefore, when the holder is in direct transit
through Japan to a third country, he should be advised to remain
in the transit lounge in Japan.
- The Japanese authorities do not recognize collective passports
issued to groups of passengers. Only in case of immediate family
traveling together, passports containing more than one name are
- An unexpired visa in an expired passport may be used provided the
passenger also carries a second valid passport which must be officially
bound with the expired one. A valid visa in an expired passport can be
transferred to the valid passport by any Japanese consulate.
Visa Waiver (As of Nov. 1996)
- Nationals of the following countries
- For a stay not exceeding 90 days:
Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Canada, Chile,
Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Dominican
Rep., El Salvador, Finland, France, Greece, Guatamala,
Honduras, Iceland, Istael, Italy, Lesotho, Luxembourg,
Malta, Mauritius, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway,
Portugal (except when passport originally issued in
present or former Portuguese colonial territories), San
Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Suriname, Sweden,
Tunisia, Turkey, Uruquay, USA, Yugoslavia
- For a stay not exceeding 90 days (extension possible):
Austria, Germany, Ireland (Rep.), Liechtenstein, Mexico
(not applicable to holders of diplomatic or official
- Nationals of Malaysia and Peru for a stay of max. 90 days.
However, it is highly recommended to obtain a visa prior to
arrival (not applicable to holders of diplomatic or official
passports). Those arriving without visa will be subject to
thorough interrogation and strict checks by the immigration
officers on arrival and are likely to be refused entry.
- Nationals of Brunei for a purely touristic stay of max. 14 days
- Nationals of Iran holding diplomatic or official passports and
travelling on duty
- Nationals of Hungary holding diplomatic or official passports and
travelling on duty. If coming for other purposes: visa exempt for
a stay of max. 90 days Nationals of Korea (Rep.) provided holding
diplomatic or official passports and coming for touristic
purposes for a stay of max. 90 days
- Nationals of Poland provided holding diplomatic or service
passports for a stay of max. 90 days
No vaccinations are required to enter Japan from any country.
Tax: Passenger Service Facility Charge
- Passenger service facility charge is levied on passengers of 12
years and departing from Tokyo Narita Airport and Kansai Airport
on international flights:
- at Narita Airport
JPY (Japanese Yen) 2,000 - (1,000 for children from 2 to 11 years)
or the equivalent in US Dollars.
- at Kansai Airport JPY
2,600 - (1,300 - for children from 2 to 11 years)
- Place of Payment:
- Tokyo City Air Terminal or Tokyo Narita Airport when
departing from Narita Airport.
Kansai Airport when leaving from Kansai Airport.
- Import: free import
- Tobacco products (cigarettes, cigars, tobacco) only for
persons of 20 years or over
- Three bottles of alcoholic beverages only for persons of
20 years or over
- Two ounces of perfume
- Gifts and souvenirs valued up to JPY 200,000
- Passengers carrying unaccompanied baggage to arrive by a
later flight are required to make a written declaration
at the time and place of their entry. Declaration after
entry may not be accepted.
- All plants and vegetables with soil
- Most fresh fruits vegetables, plants or parts of plants (vines,
leaves, roots, etc.) except for certain items listed below,
- Hawaiian Islands: Pineapples, coconuts, unripe bananas,
- USA, Canada, New Zealand; oranges, lemons, grape fruits,
melons, orchids, seeds
- Europe, Africa, Australia, Brazil: pineapple, coconuts,
unripe bananas, seedlings (except from Brazil), bulb,
- Asia: pineapples, coconuts, unripe bananas, orchids,
seeds, papayas, mangoes
- All areas: cut flowers
- Raw meat and processed meat such as ham, bacon and
sausages from various areas
- Pets such as dogs, cats, birds, snakes, etc.
Last modified: Sat Nov 9 23:43:13 1996